Friday 21 March 2014

Tales of Three

Welcome back from spring break! Our week started with the 3 Little Kittens, and although they lost their mittens, they didn't need assistance from our Vet Clinic, which is still running strong! ( A "python" and a "dragon" came in today for some medical assistance).



We made a chart on ways that we could represent 3, and "spring boarded" from there into the tales of The 3 Little Pigs.



I am excited to show you how the children have been practicing their story retells. And I have to share that as I was driving into school one morning, I spotted a small load of hay that was dropped on the side of road.



That day I was inspired while reading our second version of the 3 Little Pigs, and being the scavenger that I am, that pile of hay made it into school the next day and was our provocation....


To play.
To explore.
To observe.
To create.

The hay adorned the house made my the first little pig.


Sticks were selected for the house made by the second little pig.

We then talked about how bricks are made. Clay? I just happened to have a package of clay sitting in my arts supplies, awaiting an inspired moment. What shapes are bricks? Rectangles, you say? The children got to "work".

Using a popsicle stick to help cut and shape the bricks.

Bricks are prepared for the house of the 3rd little pig.


The work of junior kindergarten is often tactile and stretches the imagination. I know the children will be excited to bring home their creations for a retell, but I am eager to have them displayed on our school bulletin board for a while. 

As always, thank you for visiting our atelier!

No comments:

Post a Comment